The Bell

The Bell

UPCOMING

Franklin Williams: It's About Love

September 19 - December 8, 2024
Bursting with color, texture, and organic form, the intensely personal work of Franklin Williams (b.1940 in Ogden, UT; lives and works in Petaluma, CA) sustains a tension between figuration and abstraction. In rigorous yet whimsical artworks, Williams tenderly evokes familial and romantic love, death, sorrow, lust, and humor.

THE BELL

The Bell is Brown's contemporary art space and a program of the Brown Arts Institute. Free and open to the public.

The Bell’s program is defined by new commissions and exhibition projects with emerging and underrecognized artists whose work aligns with the interdisciplinary research interests of its curatorial team.
The Bell commissions two to three major exhibitions a year that are amplified by public events and conversations, performances, artist residencies, academic symposia, and publications. They are developed with Brown faculty, departments, centers, and institutes and with partners in the Providence region, nationally, and internationally.
The Bell maintains a collection of more than 7,000 works of art, dating from the 16th century to the present, with particularly rich holdings in 20th and 21st century works on paper. Recent acquisitions include works by Deana Lawson, Sadie Barnette, and Martine Gutierrez.

HOURS

The Bell is open daily 11 AM–5 PM and both Thursdays & Fridays 11 AM–8 PM when exhibitions are on view.

The Bell is currently closed for installation. Our fall exhibition Franklin Williams: It's About Love opens on September 19, 2024.

ADDRESS AND CONTACT INFO

David Winton Bell Gallery

List Art Building
Brown University
64 College Street
Providence, RI 02912
Find on Google Maps

Tel: 401-863-2932
Fax: 401-863-9323
Email: bell_gallery@brown.edu

 

Top banner: Franklin Williams, Yellow Apron (detail), 1970. Acrylic on sewn canvas, yarn, crochet thread, and painted nails, 40 × 48 × 2 inches (101.6 × 121.92 × 5.08 cm).
Top image: Franklin Williams, The King's Chamber, 1973. Acrylic and yarn on canvas, with sewn fabric. 18 × 23 ¾ inches (45.72 × 60.32 cm).